Summer Entertainment – Drive-In Style
It’s officially summer which means the sun’s out (on weekdays) and figuring out how to still enjoy ourselves amidst a pandemic.
Here in Puyallup, COVID-19 isn’t stopping the summer traditions anytime soon. In fact, they’re reimagining how The Washington State Fair will be for its’ 120th year, so you don’t want to miss out!
Remember the good ol’ times when a drive-in was THE thing? You don’t have to reminisce for too much longer because The Washington State Fair is offering 3 fabulous events to kick off summer!
For the first time ever, drive onto the Fairgrounds to enjoy your favorite fair foods and a new way to experience the Fair.
- 3 weekends only! Fridays: 4pm-7pm, Saturdays and Sundays: 11am-7pm
- July 3-5
- July 10-12
- July 17-19
- Selected vendors will be open for drive-thru ordering along a designated route (https://www.datocms-assets.com/6258/1593534910-food-to-go-map.pdf)
- Please read “Know Before You Go” section at the bottom before you attend
- Tips before you go:
- Leave the guilt at home – These foods are meant to be indulgent and deserved to be enjoyed without the side of guilt. This one day doesn’t have to sabotage a healthy lifestyle. If you are following a weight loss plan, make sure you make the best choice possible, and have a plan to get back on track.
- Plan it – Plan ahead what you’re going to order by looking at the menu online.
- Avoid hanger – Make sure to fuel accordingly throughout the day with proteins and produce. This will help you prevent overeating and feeling miserable shortly after.
- Savor the moment – Take your time to enjoy the treat! Fair foods only come around once a year, so don’t rush through the experience.
- Sharing is caring – Portion sizes these days are often enough to feed more than one person. Share (responsibly) so you can enjoy a variety without overdoing calories.
- Stay hydrated – bring your own water or favorite low-calorie beverage
- Our RDs’ favorite picks:
- Brank’s BBQ
- Brisket – Adriana’s favorite!
- Murph’s Barbeque
- Roasted Corn
- Impact Concessions
- Turkey Legs
- Fischer Scones
- Fischer Raspberry Scone
- Strawberry Shortcake – share it!
- Duris Elephant Ears
- Elephant Ears – share it!
- Dole Whip (no float)
- Earthquake’s Biggest Burgers
- Krusty Pup
- Brank’s BBQ
- Live Country Music Drive-In Series!
- July 16-19, 7 pm
- Visit website for the full lineup
DRIVE-IN MOVIE NIGHT – THE GOONIES
- Saturday, August 22nd
- 9pm (after sunset); parking lot opens 7:30pm
- FREE admission with a suggested food donation for Puyallup Food Bank
Have a great, fun-filled summer and stay healthy!
Adriana Ho, MS, RDN, CSOWM