- According to the Huffington Post, Americans purchase nearly 600 million pounds of candy each year for Halloween. Equivalent to the weight of 6 Titanic ships.
- According to USA Today, the average American eats around 3.4 pounds of candy on Halloween, and children consume around 7,000 calories and 3 cups of sugar on the day.
- The healthiest Halloween candy is Hershey’s Special Dark: 40 calories, 3.8g sugar
- The least healthy Halloween candy is Candy Corn: 17 pieces: 110 calories, 22g sugar
The 5 most popular Halloween candies are:
- Skittles 1 mini pack: 60 calories, 11g sugar
- Reeses 1 mini cup: 44 calories, 4.6g sugar
- M&M’s 1 mini pack: 73 calories, 9.6g sugar
- Snickers 1 mini bar: 80 calories, 9g sugar
- Starburst 1 piece: 20 calories, 2.5g sugar
Helpful tips for maintaining control:
- Don’t purchase Halloween candy until just before the occasion.
- Purchase candies that are your least favorite to reduce temptation.
- Purchase “mini size.”
- Limit candy consumption to 3 pieces -or-
- Prepare a healthier alternative for yourself.
- Limit children to 5 pieces/day then play a game to burn off the sugars.
- Hide the bag of candy and take out only the portioned amount.
- Best not to leave a bowl on the counter, out of sight out of mind.